Walking for Water with Camino Jim- Day 12. Little sleep, but cooler weather


Day 12. Little sleep, but cooler weather

I will start day 12 at 11:11 pm on day 11. I have been able to mostly block out the truck noise. The traffic has greatly declined which means even the truck drivers need to sleep. The one thing I did not factor in, because I was unaware of it, was the dog. Yes, the dog. There is a dog close to the hotel but I don’t know how close. He or she is close enough to make sure that I can hear perfectly his or her three bark pattern. Flawless is the best way to describe this dogs perfect three barks and then that little delay as he or she gets ready for the next volley. Remarkable that the people who own this dog and obviously are closer to the sound than I am, are completely oblivious to the noise. Maybe it’s their way of dealing with the trucks? Okay, I will try again. I hope you sleep well. See you tomorrow for the actual start of day 12.
One more addition to yesterday. As I walked into Belorado I stepped into the first cafe to get something to drink. Sitting there were Eric and Emma. I joined them for a drink and then headed out to find my hotel. Just a few short turns here and there and I find it. While checking in, Eric and Emma step inside holding my poles. Yes, I walked out without them and luckily they knew where I was staying. That would have been a new record for an equipment loss, considering I’ve only had the new poles for less than a day
I’m up early because the truck traffic has returned, it’s 6:00 am. The weather forecast last night for the Burgos region says there will be thunderstorms and an 80% chance of rain. It’s not raining yet so I will get out early and see if I can walk a fair part of today’s estimated 15 miles before the rain begins. Once on the Camino, it is noticeably cooler which is a great relief after so many very hot days. One other change is the number of pilgrims out on the Camino. Until today I saw very few. The reason is very simple which I had completely forgotten about. Most of the pilgrims especially the younger group are staying in the Albergue and that means an early start. The Albergue’s require that everyone be out by 7:00 or 7:30 at the latest thus the increased pilgrim traffic.
I stretched really well this morning before leaving and it’s made a difference. I’m am moving at a pretty good pace and I’m not having any issues. I think it’s a combination of factors. I think my training is clearly paying off and that ibuprofen cream used twice a day must be helping. I actually have more energy today than I did five days ago. I hope I’m not jinxing myself.
I’m seeing lots of new faces and a few familiar faces as well. I’m catching up to a couple of pilgrims who are walking about fifty yards apart. As I get closer I see that it’s Tiny and Rambo, both are limping. Not sure if it’s muscle or blister related. Tiny says hello but keeps his head down and presses on. As I catch up to Rambo it’s easy to identify him given his size but he also has the Brazilian flag draped from his backpack. We exchange Buen Camino and he then tells me that the rain is an hour away. I move on.
I have not seen Harpo in a couple of days. He probably was called back to headquarters to handle facilitating the annual meeting of the share holders. I did see the Accountant, his new German friend, Eric, Emma and Jeff but no sign of Ann, thankfully. As I get closer to the destination with about six miles to go the rain has not yet started. The thunder is starting so I decide to get ahead of it and stop to put on my poncho. I’m in the process and two people catch up with me and the guy stops to help me pull it over my backpack. Don and Candy from Springfield Mass. Candy is on her second Camino, it’s Don’s first. We chat for a bit but my pace is quicker so I thank them for helping and I move ahead.
I’m staying in San Juan de Ortega where there are only a few rooms and an Albergue which I’m told is not very nice. I reach the hotel (it has nine rooms) and I see Jeff and a women sitting near the front door of the hotel. I stop to let them know that to check in you must keep walking for about 100 yards to the bar where the check in is completed and keys distributed. I have stayed here before on my first Camino. It’s where on my first Camino I met the weather girl, a name I gave her. Jeff thanks me and says he would have just sat there waiting for someone to show up. The women gets up and starts to run past me to get ahead of me to register for a room. She beats me and of course she has a dozen questions so I wait about ten minutes until she gets her key … you’re welcome.
I get to my room and take care of the laundry with one difference. I don’t have to create my own clothes line with the bungee cords I brought, they have a clothes line out back which makes things much easier. There is only one place to eat it’s back at the bar- front desk. Dinner is at 7:00 and only for those with one of the nine rooms. It’s a pilgrim dinner so there is no menu … you just get whatever they serve.
I’m writing this blog back at the registration desk, aka bar where is there is no WiFi. Because I’ve made such good time, I have lots of time between now and dinner. I decide to head back to the hotel where there is WiFi. As I am walking  up to the building there are five or six pilgrims who have just walked off the Camino and they are all chatting with Speedy Checkin (the name I’ve now given her) and they are all headed inside. They have not checked in and guess what … they don’t intend to. Why? Because they are all moving in with Speedy, in the room next to mine. Basically, Speedy is running her own little Albergue. There is only one bed in her room or perhaps two twins so this should be interesting. How do they find me? A note on the WiFi, it’s at best spotty so this post may not show up anytime soon.

Good night, Buen Camino.
Data today:
Miles today 13.8
Steps today 36,156
Total miles to date 144
Total steps to date 429,658
Total flights 550
Donations to date: $31,990.40